An easy recipe for rhubarb crumble which is a perfect wintry dessert. Served with piping hot custard it’s comfort food at it’s finest.
For the Rhubarb Filling
- 400 g rhubarb stalks (washed and trimmed and cut into 2cm pieces)
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
For the Crumble Topping
- 160 g plain flour
- 115 g chilled butter
- 80 g brown sugar
- Preheat the oven to 200°C (180°Fan Forced).
- For the Rhubarb Filling: Wash and trim the rhubarb stalks and cut them roughly into 1-2cm pieces. Arrange them in an oval shape baking dish (I used 23cm x 17cm one) any leftovers can be put into a ramekin. Rhubarb shrinks alot so don’t be afraid to pile it high.
- For the Crumble Topping: Weigh the flour, butter and sugar into the TM bowl and mix for 20-25 sec/speed 5. (It should look a bit like sand but be careful not to over mix or it will become pastry!)
- To Assemble: Pour the crumble topping over the rhubarb filling and press down gently with the back of a fork. Bake in the oven for 40-45 minutes until golden brown and the rhubarb starts to bubble and ooze from the sides.
- Serve immediately with piping hot custard or a scoop of vanilla ice cream.
To Freeze: Just assemble everything then cover well and put into the freezer uncooked. To thaw, defrost overnight in the fridge then bake as you would for 40 minutes.
- Category: Dessert