A deliciously gluten free, dairy free and naturally sweetened Thermomix Sweet Potato Muffins made with warming mixed spices. A perfect afternoon treat to have with a cuppa.
- 500g raw sweet potato, peeled and roughly cut into 2cm cubes (or 320g cooked sweet potato)
- 100g extra virgin olive oil (125ml)
- 110g unsweetened almond milk, or milk of choice (125ml)
- 220g maple syrup, plus extra for brushing over the muffins
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 270g gluten free plain flour (if the flour doesn’t include xanthan gum, add one teaspoon)
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons bicarbonate of soda
- 1 ½ tablespoons Chinese 5 spice powder
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- Preheat the oven to 180°C fan forced and line a baking tray with baking paper.
- Peel and chop the sweet potato into 2cm cubes and bake them in the oven for 30-40 minutes until soft. Set aside to cool completely.
- Once cooled, add the sweet potatoes to the TM bowl and mix 10 sec/speed 4 to mash them up. Add the olive oil, almond milk, maple syrup and vanilla extract to the potato mash and mix 10 sec/speed 5. Scrape down the bowl and mix again for 10 sec/speed 5.
- Add the flour, baking powder, bicarb soda, Chinese five spice and salt and mix 5 sec/reverse/speed 5. It’s best not to over mix so if not fully incorporated, fold gently with a spatula until a nice thick batter forms and you can’t see any flour remaining.
- Scoop out the mixture and evenly distribute into the 12 cases. I like to do this with an icecream scoop.
- Bake in the oven for 20-25 minutes on 180°C fan forced. Timing will depend on your oven and how big the muffins are. Mine were quite big so took just over 25 minutes. They are ready when a tooth pick comes out clean.
- Serve warm from the oven. Any leftovers can be stored in an airtight container for up to three days.
For how to make your own muffin cases, see tips in recipe post.
- Category: Baking
- Method: Thermomix
Keywords: Thermomix Sweet Potato and Five Spice Muffins