This is a great tip for creaming butter and sugar together in the Thermomix. Simplify your baking and achieve pale and creamy results every time.
Using the Thermomix to cream butter and sugar together is easy and saves the hard work of beating it with a wooden spoon by hand. Within five minutes, the Thermomix produces a lovely pale yellow fluffy mixture that is perfect for cakes, desserts, cookies and so on.
Why Cream Butter and Sugar Together in the First Place?
The science behind creaming butter and sugar together for cakes is simple. As quoted on the King Arthur Flour website:-
“In creaming butter and sugar together, you are using the sugar to aerate the butter and fill it with bubbles that can capture the gasses released by your leavener. The more fine bubble you have in your network, the lighter in texture your ages will be and the finer the crumb”.
How to Cream Butter and Sugar Together Step by Step
Firstly, pulverise the sugar for 10 seconds on speed 9 until it's superfine. This makes it easier to incorporate with the butter.
If the butter is chilled straight from the refrigerator, you can chop it up for 10 seconds on speed 8 which makes it lovely and soft. I'm not usually organised enough to leave it to soften at room temperature so this method works well.
If you have time to soften the butter at room temperature, take it out of the fridge and let it sit on the bench top for approximately 30 minutes to 60 minutes. To check it's softened, give it a poke with your finger or a knife. If it leaves a little indent, your butter is ready.
Lastly, insert the butterfly whisk and beat the butter and sugar together for 3 minutes on speed 3, scraping down the bowl a few times in between.
The lovely pale and fluffy mixture is now ready to proceed with your recipe.
You might like these other handy Thermomix Tips
- 1 quantity of butter & white sugar, depending on your recipe
- Add the sugar to the Thermomix bowl and pulversise for 10 sec/speed 9.
- If the butter is chilled straight from the fridge, soften it in the Thermomix by mixing for 10 sec/speed 8. If the butter is already softened at room temperature, just add it to the sugar and skip this step.
- Insert the Butterfly whisk and beat the butter and sugar for 3 minutes/speed 3. Scrape down the bowl a couple of times in between until pale and creamy.
- Proceed with your recipe.