This is the best Thermomix Chocolate Buttercream Icing! It's silky smooth and is the perfect topping for chocolate cake and cupcakes. It takes mere minutes to make in the Thermomix; the only drawback is trying not to eat it straight out of the bowl!
Our creamy, rich and decadent Chocolate Buttercream is super easy to make. The Thermomix makes light work of it, so there's no manual whisking involved. It holds its shape well, so it can be used for piping and sandwiching cakes together.
If you're after plain icing without the chocolate, check out our Buttercream Icing.
Why You'll Love It
- Super simple to make.
- Soft, sweet, and tastes incredible.
- Only four ingredients.
Note: The total quantities are shown in the recipe card below.
Icing sugar - use soft icing sugar from the supermarket if possible. Icing sugar made in the Thermomix leaves the buttercream gritty.
Unsalted butter - unsalted butter gives you complete control of the overall flavour of your recipe, as the salt content in different butter brands can vary a lot.
Cocoa powder - use good-quality cocoa powder. Either Dutch-processed for a deep, smooth flavour or unsweetened cocoa powder if that's what you have available.
Milk - full cream milk works best for extra creaminess.
Step by Step Directions
Note: This is a summary of the instructions. The instructions are shown in the recipe card below.
1. Mix the chilled butter in the Thermomix bowl until creamy.
2. Add the remaining ingredients and beat for 1 minute. To make the buttercream lovely and creamy, insert the butterfly whisk and whisk for 40 seconds to finish it off.
The Chocolate Buttercream Icing makes enough to ice 18-24 cupcakes or the middle and top of two 20cm cakes sandwiched together.
FAQs & Expert Tips
Yes, you can freeze buttercream for up to 3 months. It should be placed in a freezer-safe container with a tight-fitting lid. The most crucial step is to ensure it is airtight.
Buttercream icing will last in the fridge for a week or two. Store it in an airtight container. Before using, bring it to room temperature, then whip it in the Thermomix for a few seconds with the butterfly whisk.
You Might Also Love
Thermomix Chocolate Buttercream Icing
Deliciously soft and silky chocolate buttercream made quickly in the Thermomix.
- 150g unsalted butter, chilled and roughly cubed
- 250g icing sugar, note 1
- 50g cocoa powder
- 40g milk
- Add the butter to the Thermomix bowl and mix for 40 sec/speed 5 until creamy.
- Add the icing sugar, cocoa powder and milk and beat for 1 min/speed 3. Scrape down the Thermomix bowl with a spatula.
- Insert the butterfly whisk and whisk for 40 sec/speed 3. This step makes the buttercream light and fluffy.
- Use as needed. Makes enough to icing 18-24 cupcakes or the middle and top of two 20cm cakes sandwiched together.
Note 1 - Buy soft icing sugar from the supermarket for the best result. The Thermomix icing sugar tends to be a bit gritty.
Buttercream icing will last in the fridge for a week or two while stored in an airtight container. Before using, bring it to room temperature, then whip it in the Thermomix for a few seconds with the butterfly whisk.
If you want to freeze the buttercream icing, it should be placed in a freezer-safe container with a tight-fitting lid. Consume within three months.
Leave a Comment