Everything you need to know about cooking brown rice in the Thermomix.
Brown rice is undoubtedly better for you than white rice which has been stripped of it’s outer layers. It’s a staple in our household and we love it with curries, grain bowls and as a side to grilled meat and fish.
I’ve only just started cooking brown rice in the Thermomix as our induction cook top broke down and we had to wait two months for a replacement part. I love how easy it is to cook rice in the Thermomix, you just set and forget and don’t have to worry that it will boil over or boil dry.
To Store Uncooked Brown Rice
Unlike white rice, brown rice has a shorter shelf life and maintains its quality for about 6 months. It’s best stored in an airtight container in a cool dark pantry.
To Store Cooked Brown Rice
Leftover rice can give you a bad dose of food poisoning if it’s not stored properly. Cool the leftovers as quickly as possible then store in an airtight container in the fridge for up to three days. Don’t leave it out too long as bacteria can grow.
To Freeze Cooked Brown Rice
Cool the rice as quickly as possible then transfer to a shallow container or zip lock bags. Write the date and lay flat in the freezer. Consume within six months.
If you want to cook white rice or basmati rice, the cooking time needs to be reduced. I have written a separate post on How to Cook White Rice in the Thermomix White here.
You Might Also Like
- 1200g cold water
- 140g brown rice, see note 1
- Add the water to the Thermomix bowl, insert the simmering basket and weigh the rice in. Then take out the basket and rinse the rice under a cold tap for a few seconds then insert the basket back into the TM Bowl.
- Cook for 35-40 mins/100°/speed 4 with the measuring cap on. When finished, test that it's cooked through and if not cook for a few minutes more.
- Drain and use immediately or let it cool completely before storing in an airtight container in the fridge for a few days.
- 70g of raw brown rice equates to approximately one serving.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 2 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 78Total Fat: 1gSaturated Fat: 0gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 0gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 21mgCarbohydrates: 16gFiber: 1gSugar: 0gProtein: 2g
The information shown is an estimate provided by an online nutrition calculator. It should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.