Cooking quinoa in the Thermomix is an easy process. You can liven it up with some pesto, lemon juice, herbs and spices for a delicious accompaniment to any meal.
Quinoa (pronounced KEEN-wah) is an ancient South American seed high in protein, fibre, antioxidants, manganese, folate, magnesium, iron and B vitamins. Its nutty and delicate earthy flavour makes it an excellent companion to curries, salads, grilled meats, fish, and baking recipes.
With the whole plant-based movement in recent years, quinoa is an excellent protein source for anyone following a plant-based diet or simply cutting down on meat. It’s also gluten-free so good for people with gluten sensitivities or celiac disease.
We love our quinoa served with our fresh Thermomix Basil Pesto.
Adding Flavour to Quinoa
I have to confess I am not a natural quinoa lover and enjoy it more with some fresh lemon juice and lots of salt. You could also add some fresh herbs and spices to jazz it up.
FAQs & Expert Tips
Allow the cooked quinoa to cool completely and then store in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 5 days.
To freeze quinoa, let it cool completely and store in an airtight container in the freezer for up to 5 months.
Quinoa has a long shelf life and can last up to two to three years if stored in an airtight container in a cool dark pantry.
You Might Also Love
- 1000g water
- 50g quinoa (serves one) increase by 50g per serve, for example 200g serves 4
- Start by rinsing the quinoa in a fine-mesh sieve. Do not use the simmering basket to rinse the quinoa, as the quinoa grains are small enough to fall through the basket holes.
- Insert the simmering basket into the Thermomix bowl, add 1000g of water, and then add the quinoa. (a few grains will escape).
- Cook for 16-18 mins/100°C/speed 4 with the measuring cap on.
- When the time is up, check the quinoa is cooked; if not, cook for another couple of minutes.
- Carefully lift the simmering basket from the Thermomix bowl with the aid and fluff up the quinoa with a fork before serving.
See recipe post for storage tips.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 1 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 60Total Fat: 1gSaturated Fat: 0gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 1gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 44mgCarbohydrates: 11gFiber: 1gSugar: 0gProtein: 2g
The information shown is an estimate provided by an online nutrition calculator. It should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.