A quick and delicious recipe for Thermomix Pesto, made from scratch with fresh basil, garlic, pine nuts, Parmesan and olive oil.
Pesto is a classic staple in Italian cuisine that's perfect for adding flavour to pasta, salmon, chicken, sandwiches and salads. However, making it from scratch can take time and effort. The Thermomix makes preparing homemade pesto a breeze.
We love serving our pesto stirred through Thermomix Spaghetti, Thermomix Ricotta Gnocchi and drizzled over our Thermomix Roasted Tomato Soup. It also tastes amazing stirred into mashed potatoes.
Why We Love This Recipe
- Quick and simple.
- Jazzes up a boring meal.
Note: The full quantities are shown in the recipe card below.
Fresh basil - use the leaves and stalks and do not wash them; otherwise, they will be soggy! 20g is a lot, but it's worth it!
Garlic - use one peeled clove.
Pine nuts - no need to toast them beforehand, but you can if you want.
Parmesan - roughly chopped.
Olive oil - use a good quality extra virgin olive oil.
Salt - to taste.
Step by Step Directions
Note: This is a summary of the instructions. The full ingredients and instructions are shown in the recipe card below.
1. Grate the Parmesan for 10 seconds and transfer it to a separate bowl. There is no need to clean the Thermomix bowl.
2. Add the basil, garlic, pine nuts, and olive oil to the bowl and mix for 15 seconds on speed 7. Scrape down the bowl and repeat.
3. Add the reserved Parmesan cheese to the Thermomix bowl.
4. Reverse mix for a few seconds until it's combined.
Pesto is such a versatile ingredient. Here are a few suggestions for using it:-
- Stirred into pasta for a fuss-free speedy meal.
- Topped on baked salmon.
- Used as a dip for veggies.
- Spread on sandwiches for lunch.
- A flavourful topping for soups.
FAQs & Expert Tips
Store the Pesto in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to five days. It will thicken slightly, so give it a good stir before using it.
Yes, a great way to freeze pesto is in ice cube trays, then stored in a zip lock bag. It will last for up to 6 months.
A deliciously versatile pesto made from scratch with fresh basil, garlic, pine nuts, Parmesan and olive oil.
- 40g Parmesan
- 20g fresh basil, leaves and stalks (do not wash!)
- 1 garlic clove, peeled
- 30g pine nuts, note 1
- 100g extra virgin olive oil
- pinch of salt to taste
- Add the Parmesan to the Thermomix bowl and grate for 10 sec/speed 10 until finely grated. Transfer to a separate bowl. There is no need to clean the Thermomix bowl.
- Add the basil, garlic, pine nuts and olive oil to the Thermomix bowl. Mix for 15 sec/speed 7. Scrape down the bowl with a spatula, then mix again for 15 sec/speed 7.
- Add the grated Parmesan, then mix for 3 sec/reverse/speed 5. Season with salt.
- The pesto is ready to eat! See the recipe post for serving suggestions. Store the pesto in the fridge in an airtight container. It will thicken slightly, so give it a good stir before using it.
1. Pine nuts - you can toast the pine nuts in a small frying pan over medium heat for a richer flavour.
Store in the fridge for up to 5 days in an airtight container.
To freeze, pour the pesto into an ice cube container to freeze, then pop them out and store them in a zip lock bag. The pesto will last for up to 6 months in the freezer.
Leave a Comment