An easy method for using the Thermomix to cook 'al dente' spaghetti pasta.
My induction cook top recently malfunctioned - my daughter attempted to deep fry Churros and the oil splashed everywhere. I don’t know for certain if this led to its demise but it stopped heating up after that. We had to wait two months for a replacement part in order to fix it which was such a pain.
As spaghetti bolognese is a staple in our household, I discovered how easy it is to cook the pasta in the Thermomix instead of the stove method.
The good thing is you can set and forget without worrying the water will boil over into a foamy mess or boil dry and burn. I initially through the blades would chop the spaghetti into tiny pieces but as it’s set on a low speed it prevents this from happening.
Tips on How to Cook
- For this recipe, I've used the Thermomix to boil the water before cooking the spaghetti but to speed things up you could boil the water in the kettle. As long as it's 100°C before the spaghetti hits it it should be fine.
- The spaghetti will submerge in the the bowl on it's own accord so no need to push it down.
- When it's cooked, use the simmering basket to drain it.
I've only tried this method with regular spaghetti but I'm sure you could use other pasta as well. Just be mindful of the cooking time as different pastas take longer or less.
Spaghetti Portion Size
For years I would stuff up the portion sizes when cooking spaghetti and either end up with too much or too little. I now own one of those clever little spaghetti measurers with different size holes for each portion which takes the guesswork out of it. If you don’t have one then 100g of dried spaghetti equates to roughly one portion per person.
You Might Also Like
- 1200g cold water, see note 1
- 200 g spaghetti pasta
- Pour the water into the Thermomix bowl and bring to the bowl for 9 mins/100/speed 1.
- Once boiled, add the spaghetti through the hole in the lid and cook for 11 mins/100/reverse/speed 1 until al dente. Keep the measuring cap off whilst it's cooking. Test that it's cooked through and if not cook again for another minute to two.
- Drain and serve with your favourite spaghetti sauce.
- For a quicker option you can boil the water in the kettle instead of the Thermomix. If doing so, proceed to step 2 (as long as the water is 100°C).
Nutrition Information:Yield: 2 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 150Total Fat: 1gSaturated Fat: 0gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 0gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 29mgCarbohydrates: 30gFiber: 1gSugar: 1gProtein: 5g
The information shown is an estimate provided by an online nutrition calculator. It should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.