A super simple recipe for Thermomix Sugar Cookies made with five ingredients. Enjoy them plain and simple, or go wild and decorate them with pretty coloured icing and sprinkles.
We love a good cookie recipe here, and the no-frills Sugar Cookie is no exception. This recipe is effortless, and we have taste-tested it many times to achieve perfect results.
Our Chocolate Chip Cookies are one of the blog's most popular recipes, but sometimes plain and simple is just what we need.
Why We Love This Recipe
- Super easy and made with only five ingredients.
- The option to decorate or leave them plain and simple.
- You can cut out the sugar cookies into any shape and size.
Note: The full quantities are shown in the recipe card below.
Unsalted butter - softened at room temperature. Unsalted butter gives you complete control of the overall flavour of your recipe, as the salt content in different brands of butter can vary a lot.
Caster sugar - you can make caster sugar in the Thermomix if you run out.
Vanilla extract - use vanilla extract or pure vanilla bean paste. Avoid using vanilla essence, as it's less intense.
1 egg - use a large egg at room temperature if possible.
Plain flour - is also known as all-purpose flour.
Step by Step Directions
Note: This is a summary of the instructions. The full ingredients and instructions are shown in the recipe card below.
1. Cream the butter and sugar together.
2. Add the egg and mix until incorporated. The egg may cause the mixture to split, but that's okay.
3. Add the flour and mix for a few seconds then knead until a dough forms.
4. Tip the dough out onto a lightly floured surface.
5. Form a ball. Be careful not to overwork the dough.
6. Cut the dough into two then wrap in plastic wrap and place in the fridge for 20-30 minutes.
7. Remove the dough from the fridge and roll it out to a thickness of 3-4mm. Cut into rounds using a 6cm cutter. You could also use other shapes.
8. Place onto a large baking tray lined with greaseproof paper and bake in the oven for 8-10 minutes. The cookies will be soft when straight out of the oven but will harden once cooled.
We love our sugar cookies decorated with our Thermomix Royal Icing and a few sprinkles.
FAQs & Expert Tips
Yes, but only for 20-30 minutes. Chilling ensures the dough is easy to roll out and cut into shapes without sticking. It also helps prevent spreading during baking.
Yes, sugar cookie dough can be made up to three days ahead. Wrap it in cling film and store it in the refrigerator. When you're ready to use it, let it sit on the bench top to thaw out a little until it's easy to roll.
Ideally, the dough should be rolled to about 3-4mm thick. If the dough is too thin, the cookies will be hard and crunchy.
The cookies will keep in an airtight container and are best consumed within three days.
You Might Also Love
For non-Thermomix recipes, head over to our sister site, Easy Deliciousness.