These Thermomix Blueberry and Almond Friands make the perfect teatime treat. Pop the kettle on, put your feet up and enjoy!
A Friand is a small almond cake which is popular in Australia and New Zealand. It's very similar to the French Financier which is rectangle in shape (not to be confused with someone who works in the financial services! 😂)
I've used blueberries for this recipe, but you can use any berries you like. Friands are made with a lot of egg whites, and at the end of this post, I've listed some recipes to use up the leftover egg yolks.
Best Tips on How to Make
Friands are typically made without cupcake cases, so it's essential to generously brush each muffin hole with melted butter then sprinkle flour on each of them. I usually use cupcake cases for everything, so was a bit nervous about them sticking to the pan, but they came out well.
Mix the batter as per the recipe below. Fill each one about halfway to two-thirds of the way up, and it's quite runny, which makes it easy to pour into the muffin holes. Pop three blueberries on top - don't worry too much about pushing them down as the mixture will rise around them.
Bake in the oven for 25-30 minutes until lightly golden. Leave in the tin for 5 minutes before turning out onto a wire rack to cool. Use a table knife if necessary to help release them from the muffin tin.
For special occasions these look lovely dusted in icing sugar - I forgot to do this for the photos!
As these Friands use only egg whites, here are some Thermomix recipes you can make with leftover egg yolks.
Old Fashioned Vanilla Slice
You Might Also Like
Thermomix Blueberry Muffins
Chocolate Pear Pudding
Thermomix Apple Crumble
Donna Hay's Chocolate Brownies converted for the Thermomix
Thermomix Blueberry and Almond Friands
These Thermomix Blueberry and Almond Friands make the perfect afternoon treat or special occasion.
- 115 g unsalted butter (melted plus extra for greasing)
- 65 g plain flour (plus extra for dusting the muffin holes)
- 100 g almonds
- 165 g icing sugar
- pinch of salt
- ½ teaspoon almond extract
- 6 egg whites
- 36 blueberries
- Preheat the oven to 180ºC / 160ºC fan. Generously brush the holes of a 12 hole muffin tin with the extra butter, then dust each hole with flour, shaking off any excess.
- Add almonds to the TM bowl and mill 10 sec/speed 9. Add the flour, icing sugar and a pinch of salt and mix for 5 sec/speed 3 to sift out any lumps.
- In a separate bowl, lightly whisk the egg whites with the almond extract.
- Set the Thermomix to 40 sec/speed 2 and slowly pour the egg white mixture into the top until well combined.
- Scrape down the bowl, add the melted butter, and mix 3-5 sec/speed 5 until just combined. (try not to over mix)
- Pour the batter evenly into the muffin holes about half to two-thirds of the way up and place 3 blueberries into each one (they'll sink as they bake so no need to push down).
- Bake in the oven for 30-35 minutes until lightly golden.
- Leave in the tin for 5 minutes before turning out onto a wire rack to cool. You may need to use a table knife to help ease them out. Dust with a little icing sugar before serving.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 12 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 203Total Fat: 12gSaturated Fat: 5gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 6gCholesterol: 21mgSodium: 81mgCarbohydrates: 20gFiber: 1gSugar: 14gProtein: 4g
The information shown is an estimate provided by an online nutrition calculator. It should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.
Leave a Comment