These Thermomix Cheese and Vegemite Scrolls are delicious, filling and perfect for school lunches. For non Vegemite lovers and UK readers, Marmite works equally well!
These might not look as symmetrical as the ones in Bakers Delight, but they taste amazing and are far cheaper. My husband and teenage daughters tested them out as I’m not too fond of Vegemite, and they all agreed they were excellent.
For UK readers, Marmite works just as well! In Australia, the Marmite we know and love is called Our Mate, and you can find it in the British section of Coles or Woolies in amongst the PG Tips and Bisto Gravy etc.
Step by Step Instructions
- Firstly make the dough in the Thermomix and let it rise. Once the dough has risen, knockback and roll into a rectangle shape. (It doesn’t have to be perfect as you can see from the photo!).
- Spread over a generous amount of Vegemite then scatter with cheese.
- Roll it up like a sausage and cut into eight equal portions.
- Place the cut side up onto a baking tray and bake in the oven for 20 minutes until nice and golden and hollow when tapped.
If I had the time, I could probably have made these look a bit neater, but they still tasted good!
To Make Ahead and Freeze
These Cheese and Vegemite Scrolls can be frozen after baking and will keep for up to two months in the freezer. Store in an airtight container or ziplock back and don’t forget to write the date on it.
You Might Also Like
- 500g bakers flour
- 300g lukewarm water
- 7g sachet dried yeast
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 4 tablespoons Vegemite, can be more or less depending on taste
- 200g cheddar cheese plus extra for sprinkling on top
- Start by pouring the lukewarm water into the Thermomix bowl and add the yeast, flour, olive oil and salt.
- Mix for 6 seconds/speed 6, then knead for 2 minutes on the interval knead setting.
- Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface and knead into a ball. Place into a large greased bowl and cover the bowl with a tea towel and leave in a warm place for approximately 1 hour until doubled in size.
- Preheat the oven to 180°C fan-forced / 200°C and line a baking tray with baking paper.
- Once the dough has risen, knock the dough back and roll out into a rectangle shape of approximately 5mm thick.
- Spread generously with Vegemite, sprinkle over the cheese and roll up into a sausage shape, starting at the smaller end first.
- Cut into 8 equal portions and place cut side up onto the baking tray leaving a small gap between each one. Sprinkle individually with cheese and bake in the oven for 15-20 minutes until nice and golden - to check if they're cooked properly, they will sound hollow when tapped.
- Let them cool on a wire rack before enjoying.
Storage: Let them cool completely before storing in an airtight container at room temperature for a couple of days or in the freezer for 3 months.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 363Total Fat: 11gSaturated Fat: 5gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 4gCholesterol: 25mgSodium: 537mgCarbohydrates: 51gFiber: 3gSugar: 0gProtein: 15g
The information shown is an estimate provided by an online nutrition calculator. It should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.