Easily steam and shred chicken breasts in the Thermomix to keep throughout the week for wholesome sandwich fillers.
Steaming and shredding chicken in the Thermomix is a breeze and so much healthier than the processed stuff you buy from the supermarket. It will keep in the fridge for up to four days making it handy for school lunch sandwiches, rolls and wraps.
Shredded chicken is also a great addition to salads, pizza toppings, soups, nacho toppings, pasta bakes and pretty much anything else.
How to Steam Chicken in the Varoma
- Cut the chicken breast in equal halves and place into the Varoma dish. Add 750g water to the TM bowl and if you wish add some stock, garlic and herbs to the water for extra flavour.
- Steam for 15-20 minutes/Varoma/speed 1. Timing will vary greatly on the thickness of the chicken.
- Once cooked through, roughly cut the chicken up to cool. Empty the water from the TM bowl and discard of any herbs or garlic.
Shredding Chicken in the Thermomix Bowl
- Place the cooled chicken into the TM bowl (without the water, herbs or garlic).
- Mix for 3 sec/reverse/speed 4. If you'd like it finer just mix for a second or two more. It's better to under mix at first rather than over mix otherwise you run the risk of ending up with chicken paste!
Tips on How to Store
Shredded chicken can be stored in the fridge for up to four days. Let it cool completely then store in a zip lock storage bag or sealed container.
Tips on How to Freeze
To freeze, store in a zip lock bag or sealed container and clearly write the date on it. It will last in the freezer for up to three months. Thaw out in the fridge overnight or defrost in the microwave.
You May Also Like
How to Cook Thermomix White Rice
Thermomix Cauliflower Rice
How to cook Quinoa in the Thermomix
Thermomix Pizza Dough
Thermomix Shredded Chicken
Easily steam and shred chicken in the Thermomix which can be used for sandwiches, soups, salads, pizza toppings and nachos.
- 1-2 raw chicken breasts
- 750g cold water
Optional flavourings to add to the water
- 1 tablespoon vegetable stock
- raw garlic clove
- fresh herbs
- Cut the chicken breast/breasts into equal halves and place into the Varoma dish. If cooking two breasts, use the Varoma tray as well. If the breasts are different sizes, pop the smaller ones in the Varoma tray.
- Add 750g water to the Thermomix bowl and if you wish add some stock, garlic and herbs to the water for extra flavour.
- Steam for 15-20 minutes/Varoma/speed 1. Timing will vary greatly on the thickness of the chicken. To check it's cooked, gently cut into it with a knife.
- Once cooked through, roughly cut the chicken up into a few pieces and allow to cool slightly.
- To Shred: Drain the water and any herbs or garlic from the Thermomix bowl. Add the cooled chicken to the Thermomix bowl and shred for 3 sec/reverse/speed 4. If you'd like it finer just mix for a second or two more. It's better to under mix at first rather than over mix otherwise you run the risk of ending up with a chicken paste!
- Ensure the chicken is cooled completely before storing in an airtight container in the fridge for up to four days.
See recipe post for step by step instructions and how to store and freeze chicken.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 2 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 106Total Fat: 2gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 1gCholesterol: 51mgSodium: 81mgCarbohydrates: 1gFiber: 0gSugar: 0gProtein: 19g
The information shown is an estimate provided by an online nutrition calculator. It should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.
Leave a Comment