With this simple recipe, you can easily make creamy Bechamel Sauce in the Thermomix. Also known as white sauce, it can be used as a base for various dishes, including lasagne, moussaka, gratins and fish pie.
Bechamel Sauce is simply butter and flour mixed together to make a roux, then milk added and heated up until it thickens. The key to success is stirring the sauce continuously so that no lumps form, so making it in the Thermomix saves time and effort.
- No stirring involved - the Thermomix works its magic!
- Can be used as the base for other sauces, such as cheese sauce, parsley sauce, watercress sauce etc.
Note: The full quantities are shown in the recipe card below.
Butter - use unsalted butter so you can control the salt content. Also, the better quality butter, the better the sauce.
Plain flour - use plain flour as self-raising flour contains baking powder which interacts with the other ingredients.
Milk - use whole milk. Lite milk results in a watery Bechamel.
Nutmeg - just a tiny pinch is optional. Nutmeg is a strong spice!
Step by Step Directions
Note: This is a summary of the instructions. The full ingredients and instructions are shown in the recipe card below.
Steps 1-2. Add the butter to the Thermomix bowl and melt for 3 minutes.
Steps 3-4. Add the flour and cook at a high temperature for 2 minutes until a roux forms.
Steps 5-6. Add the milk and nutmeg (if using) and heat up for 6 minutes until the sauce thickens.
How to Use Bechamel Sauce
Bechamel sauce can be used in the following dishes:-
How to Store
The Bechamel Sauce can be used straight away or transferred to an airtight container. Cover the top of the sauce with plastic wrap to prevent a skin forming, and refrigerated until required, for up to a week. Reheat, stirring gently, to serve.
You May Also Like
- 50g unsalted butter, roughly cut into cubes
- 50g plain flour
- 500g full cream milk (not light milk)
- A pinch of nutmeg (optional)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Place the butter in the Thermomix bowl and melt for 3 min/50°C/speed 2.
- Add the flour and cook for 2 min/100°C/speed 1.
- Add the milk and nutmeg (if using), then cook 6 min/90°C/speed 4. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve immediately or store in the fridge to use when needed.
Bechamel sauce can be used straight away or transferred to an airtight container. Cover the top of the sauce with plastic wrap to prevent a skin forming, and refrigerated until required, for up to a week. Reheat, stirring gently, to serve.