This vibrant bowl of Thermomix Curried Sweet Potato and Lentil Soup is a nourishing one pot wonder! It requires minimal effort and is ready on the table in thirty minutes.
This wholesome plant-based soup is made with sweet potatoes, dried red lentils, onion and garlic and seasoned with mild curry powder which gives it a subtle flavour. It’s filling enough to enjoy as a substantial meal with some freshly baked soft bread rolls.
I love making soups in the Thermomix as you can set and forget and get on with other chores plus there’s less washing up which is always a bonus.
Smooth vs Chunky Soup
Depending on taste, you can either blend this soup until smooth or leave it chunky as in the photo below. My personal preference is for chunky soup even though it looks less appetizing.
I use Massel vegetable stock cubes for my soups as I love the flavour and they’re cheap and easy to store. If you use the Thermomix Vegetable Stock Concentrate, 1 tablespoon of concentrate is roughly equivalent to one stock cube.
To Make Ahead and Freeze
Soups make great standby meals as they keep well in the fridge and freezer. To refrigerate, allow to cool then store in an airtight container in the fridge for up to three days.
To freeze, allow the soup to cool then transfer to an airtight container or a zip lock bag. Our freezer is tiny so I use ziplock bags – if you lie them flat they are more stackable. It will last for up to three months in the freezer.
You Might Also Like These Soup Recipes
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled
- 1 brown onion, peeled and cut into quarters
- 2 teaspoons mild curry powder
- 20g olive oil
- 600g sweet potatoes, peeled and roughly chopped, (approx 2-3 medium sweet potatoes)
- 150g dried red lentils
- 750ml vegetable stock, made with boiling water, see note 1
- black pepper to taste
- Place the onion and garlic into the Thermomix bowl and chop 3 sec/speed 5.
- Scrape down the bowl, add the curry powder and olive oil and saute for 5 mins/100°/speed 2 with the MC off.
- Add the sweet potato and chop 5 sec/speed 5. Scrape down the bowl.
- Add the lentils and stock and cook for 20-25 mins/100°/speed 1 with the MC on.
- Once finished, check that the lentils and sweet potatoes are cooked through, if not cook for another few minutes.
- If you like your soup chunky then it should be ready to eat as is and there's no need to blend. Add a little water if it's too thick.
- For smooth soup - blend for 1 min/speed 8 very slowly increasing the speed. Check the consistency and add a little more water if too thick.
- Another option is to pour half the soup into a bowl and blend the remaining half then mix the two together to give a mix of chunky and smooth soup!
- Season with black pepper and serve immediately with your favourite crusty bread or bread rolls.
- I'm a huge fan of Massel Vegetable Stock Cubes in all my soup recipes as I love the flavour but feel free to use the Thermomix Vegetable Stock Concentrate. 1 tablespoon of concentrate equates to one vegetable stock cube.
- To freeze, allow the soup to cool completely then pour into an airtight container or ziplock bag and store in the freezer for up to 3 months.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 250Total Fat: 6gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 5gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 676mgCarbohydrates: 44gFiber: 9gSugar: 13gProtein: 7g
The information shown is an estimate provided by an online nutrition calculator. It should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.