Easily whip up this popular creamy Dalgona Coffee drink in the Thermomix in a couple of minutes.
At the time of writing this, Dalgona Coffee is the most popular drink to trend on social media right now. My TikTok loving teens put me on to it so was intrigued to see what all the fuss was about.
What Dalgona Coffee?
Dalgona coffee is made by whisking equal proportions of instant coffee, sugar and boiling water together until it becomes a light and fluffy foam. It’s then topped over iced cold or hot milk like an upside-down frappe or cappuccino. You can use regular or decaf coffee granules but they have to be instant and not ground.
The trend started earlier this year when a South Korean actor called Jung Il-woo made it on TV and said it reminded him a honeycomb toffee confection called Dalgona. Since then it has gained millions of views of people making it on TikTok and Instagram and has been dubbed as the number one drink to have in this current situation we find ourselves in.
The drinks origins can be traced to India where it is called phenti hui coffee. It was popular there long before going viral.
What Does it Taste Like?
It’s a bitter sweet taste, I love the concept but to be honest it wasn’t for me. My TikTok loving teens however love it (for them I used decaf).
How to Make Step by Step
- Place the instant coffee, sugar and boiled water into the mixing bowl and insert the Butterfly whisk.
- Whip for 1 minute/speed 3.5, taking off the measuring cup halfway through to let some air in.
- After the minute, scrape down the sides of the bowl and along the bottom with a spatula and mix again for 1 minute/3.5 until light and fluffy (with the MC off).
Spoon over your favourite milk and enjoy! As with all coffees, you can choose any milk you like and you can enjoy it hot or cold.
The recipe below is enough for one or two glasses and can easily be doubled to make more.
If you make this, I would love to know what you think in the comments below!
You Might Also Like
- 2 tablespoons instant coffee, caffeinated or decaf
- 2 tablespoons white sugar
- 2 tablespoons boiling hot water
- milk of choice, either hot or cold
- Insert the Butterfly whisk: Place the coffee granules, sugar and hot water into the mixing bowl and whip for 1 min/speed 3.5. Take the measuring cap off halfway through to let some air in.
- Scrape down the bowl and especially along the bottom with a spatula (see note 1) and whip again for 1 min/speed 3.5 (with MC off) until light and foamy.
- Spoon over either iced or hot milk and enjoy!
- The undissolved granules tend to stick to the bottom of the mixing bowl at first. Halfway through whipping, give the bottom of the bowl and good scrape with a sturdy spatula to help dissolve them.
- Use only instant coffee as ground coffee won't work. It can be caffeinated or decaf.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 2 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 111Total Fat: 2gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 1gCholesterol: 10mgSodium: 65mgCarbohydrates: 19gFiber: 0gSugar: 13gProtein: 4g
The information shown is an estimate provided by an online nutrition calculator. It should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.